By December 10, 2012 3 Comments

Ask a Travel Nurse: Do I need more than a bachelor’s degree?


bachelor's degree travel nurseAsk a Travel Nurse Question:

Does becoming a travel nurse require education beyond a bachelor’s degree? If not, would it be a good idea to go beyond a bachelor’s degree?

Ask a Travel Nurse Answer:

Travel nursing does not require anything further than your RN license and a couple years of experience. You don’t really earn more for a BSN on travel assignments, but some Magnet facilities do require permanent staff to be BSN (but not too many facilities require BSN of travelers). With changes in nursing, it might be advantageous to have a BSN in the future, but you can certainly travel without one.

I would not pursue an advanced degree unless you want to teach or move into management some day. I’ve done pretty well in my career with a simple Diploma of Nursing (3 yr program).


About the Author:

Hello everyone. I’m a travel nurse originally from Ohio who graduated in 1993 from Mount Carmel School of Nursing in Columbus. I completed a critical care fellowship at Riverside Methodist Hospital in 1994 and started traveling in that specialty a year later. My first travel assignment was in Maui and since that time I have completed close to 40 different contracts in various states with multiple travel companies. I am the author of Travel Nurse’s Bible (A Guide to Everything on Travel Nursing), in addition to my writings here and in the pages of Travel Nursing publications such as Healthcare Traveler Magazine and American Nurse Today. I am presently on assignment in Phoenix, AZ and travel anywhere from six to eleven months of the year.

3 Comments on "Ask a Travel Nurse: Do I need more than a bachelor’s degree?"

Trackback | Comments RSS Feed

  1. David


    Thinking of traveling again, thanks for the info

  2. Barb


    I have a two year degree in nursing and am wondering if that is good in Arizona. My degree is from Pa.

  3. David says:

    Hey Barb. I’m not sure I understand your question. If you sat for NCLEX and have your RN, then it does not matter how many years of nursing school you went through. AZ (and all other states), will issue you a license or endorsement to work as a nurse if you are in good standing as an RN in another state.

    Hope that answers your question.


Post a Comment