Your next assignment starts here. Search jobs now!

Ask a Travel Nurse: What type of degree do I need to be a Travel Nurse?

Ask a Travel Nurse: What type of degree do I need to be a Travel Nurse?

Ask a Travel Nurse: What type of degree do I need to be a Travel Nurse?

Ask a Travel Nurse Question:

I really want to go to school to become an RN and eventually a Travel Nurse. But, financially, college is going to be hard for me to afford. What type of degree do I need to be a Travel Nurse? Two year or four year?

Ask a Travel Nurse Answer:

As long as you have the initials “RN” behind your name, two, three, or four year program matters not.

Now, I will say that some facilities are now Magnet status and they usually like BSN nurses. However, even some facilities that require a BSN for you to work there, will make an exception for Travel Nurses.

Sure it would be great to have every single nurse in the hospital be a BSN grad (although I’m honestly not sure why), but with the baby boomers aging, and retiring from nursing, AND then needing healthcare themselves, you are looking at a looming nursing shortage that will likely make no m and ates other than having your RN (which can be done through a two year program).

Posted in: Ask a Travel Nurse

About the Author:

Hello everyone. I’m a travel nurse originally from Ohio who graduated in 1993 from Mount Carmel School of Nursing in Columbus. I completed a critical care fellowship at Riverside Methodist Hospital in 1994 and started traveling in that specialty a year later. My first travel assignment was in Maui and since that time I have completed close to 40 different contracts in various states with multiple travel companies. I am the author of Travel Nurse’s Bible (A Guide to Everything on Travel Nursing), in addition to my writings here and in the pages of Travel Nursing publications such as Healthcare Traveler Magazine and American Nurse Today. I am presently on assignment in Phoenix, AZ and travel anywhere from six to eleven months of the year.

2 Comments on "Ask a Travel Nurse: What type of degree do I need to be a Travel Nurse?"

Trackback | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Deb Wildon says:

    I would say the more experience in a hospital working the better. But, right now u need to at least have a BSN. That is what most of the hospitals are looking for. Feel free to text me if I have more questions

  2. David says:

    I’m sorry Deb, but you are incorrect regarding the BSN mandate.

    While Magnet hospitals DO seek out BSN nurses, it is not a requirement at ALL Magnet facilities (as I wrote above).

    As for a majority of the hospitals out there, they do NOT require that you have a BSN. If you would post your credentials or your experience with travel nursing Deb, it would go a long way in lending credibility to your assertion.

    As a travel nurse with close to two decades of experience, I have NEVER been shut out of a position for lack of a BSN and am currently on assignment with my Diploma based (3 yr program)license.

    More experience ALWAYS makes you look better, but the recruiters I use and trust with my travels, are currently helping non-BSN nurses, with between 18 to 30 months of experience, land their first travel assignments. For many hospitals, two years is now the standard, but we are seeing nurses land higher acuity areas, like critical care, with less than two years of experience.

    I’m certainly willing to listen Deb, if you can provide the data or experience to lend credibility to your statements. But as a current traveler, out on the road, I’m not seeing the picture you are painting.


Post a Comment