Imagine, you’ve landed your dream assignment and you are finished with your last shift of the week and after a long nights sleep you are ready to go out and have some fun. You get all dressed up to go out and then it hits you. “I don’t know what to do.”
Well don’t worry. That’s what sites like Gowalla are for.
Gowalla is a location based social networking site that helps you:
- Connect with your friends and family from Facebook and Twitter to share where you’re going
- Find new places and hotspots
- Share your photos, recommendations and trips with friends
- Get inspired to explore the world around you
- Get rewards from local eateries, venues and stores
- Keep a digital record your experiences
The fun stuff on Gowalla for travel nurses
As a Gowalla user you get the chance to earn Stamps, which are basically like virtual passport stamps on your Gowalla Passport.
Don’t forget to click on Spots and Trips to easily explore new places to go that other people have discovered. There are trips made by organizations like National Geographic, USA TODAY, CNNMoney to explore as well as those made by users like you.
Here’s how you get started:
- First you click sign up now – it is a free service and easy to use
- You can either make an account (with basically just your email address and name) or connect with your Facebook page
- If you choose to make an account you are then asked if you want to connect with Facebook to see if any of your Facebook friends have a Gowalla account, I sent one invite to see how it works – very easy
- Then you complete your “Passport”
- The last step is to add the app to your smartphone
Once you are logged in you are prompted do one of three things:
- “Find and add your friends”
- If you choose to find or add friends you can either choose to connect to and invite your contacts/friends from Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail or invite them via email.
- “Tell us about your favorite places”
- If you choose this option you get the chance to give a wide range of places your “Highlight Designation” Including places like your favorite live music venue, your happy place, tourist trap, watering hole, etc. There are 37 different highlights for you to add.
- “Download Gowalla for your phone”
- Gowalla works best if you download it to your smart phone (but you don’t have to, however you can’t check in without it). If you choose to you can add it to an iPhone, Android powered phone, Blackberry or Palm.
Once you are logged in your Dashboard shows you:
- How many Stamps you’ve earned
- How many Pins you’ve earned
- Links to see your:
- Activity – Places you have checked in
- Highlights – All your favorite places (see above)
- Photos – Any photos you have taken and uploaded with your phone
- Trips – Shows you any trips you have made, which you don’t have to actually have visited the places to add it to one of your Trips
- Bookmarks – All the spots you have Bookmarked, which just means you really liked them and what to be able to find them again quickly
- Items – Any Items you have been given, which you get randomly when you check in on your phone at places they have been “dropped” – they are things like a Milk Steamer, a Mickey Mouse Hat or a Slice of Pizza
On your Smartphone
On your cell phone is where you are able to check-in at places. It is really simple to do (once you download the Gowalla app). Every time you check in somewhere new you get a Stamp and on my first check in I also got an Item and two Pins.
Privacy and Frequency
As far as privacy options go you can easily change your settings so that only your friends can see your Passport, updates and places (I recommend this option along with being careful in choosing who your friends are for both safety and privacy concerns). You can also determine how often you get updates about your activity and your friend’s activity. You can find both of these options under the Settings link once you are logged in.
Conclusion about Gowalla for travel nurses
One of the best aspects of Gowalla for travel nurses is the ability to easily act as a journal for you that automatically tracks all the cool places you have gone and new things you have done during your assignments. So set up your account before you’re next assignment and give it a try.