You may be wondering why this small part of the process is getting its own section in the Travel Nursing Checklist?
The reason is simple. The start to a travel nursing assignment is one of the most important parts of it. It is where the initial impressions of you as a nurse and professional are made and one of the easiest ways to self-sabotage that impression is to arrive late. Whether it is your fault or not or a fair impression or not, the unit manager that hired you may have a negative attitude toward you from the start if you arrive late.
So nothing is easier, yet more crucial to doing a great job as a travel nurse than taking the time to plan and prepare for your drive so you can arrive on time if not early to your assignment. Which will also give you time to get into your housing, map out the drive to the hospital and mentally prepare for your first day.
Make sure your car is ready for the drive to your travel nursing assignment
Making sure your car is prepared for the drive is important because an unexpected breakdown on your way to your assignment or while you are in your new town could put a real cramp in your ability to perform your travel nursing job; if you can’t get to the hospital it is very difficult to perform the job.
In fact, that is why it is important to take good care of your car at all times by taking it in for regular oil changes and fluid changes and having a mechanic you trust check items like shocks, struts, tires and brake pads for you.
Here are some good websites to find a mechanic you can trust in a new city:
If you haven’t been taking your car in or maintaining it yourself regularly though, don’t fret, just make sure you take it in a couple of weeks before you plan to leave for an assignment. That way if there are major repairs you need to do you have time.
Here are some great resources to give you the basics of car care:
- Every Girl’s Guide to Basic Car Care
- Ask Patty – Autmotive Advice for Women
- Pepboys.com – Car Care Basics
Here are some great resources to help you prepare your car for a long road trip:
- Car check list before a long trip
- How to prepare your car for a road trip
- How to Prepare Your Car for a Road Trip | eHow.com
Here are some articles we have written over the past four years that you may also find useful when preparing your car for your next assignment:
- Winter Driving Tips for Traveling Nurses on the Move
- Using technology to help navigate your way to your next assignment
- Using technology to help navigate your way to your next travel nurse assignment: Part II
- Ask a Travel Nurse: What kind of car should a travel nurse buy?
- Ask a Travel Nurse: How can I get my car to Hawaii?
- Tips for winter driving to your next travel nursing job
In the next installment of the Travel Nursing Checklist we will look at preparing yourself for the drive to your assignment.