Although the majority of travel nursing assignments are wonderful. There are those that don’t go so smooth. If you haven’t experienced one yourself, you have no doubt seen someone talk about one on a nursing forum, or heard stories from other travelers about “bad travel nursing assignments,” whether it is problems with the hospital, housing or just the company itself.
While there are definite steps you should take when this happens to you, like contacting your company and recruiter right away, this series of The Ultimate List of Travel Nursing Questions should help you learn more about the company you are working with up front. Which will help you avoid a bad travel nursing assignment before it begins. Check it out. What other questions have you found helpful to ask.
Travel Nursing Questions List 1: Housing
- Is housing furnished? (bed, night stand, couches, tables, etc.)
- Are utilities paid? Up to how much do they pay? Which Utilities are not paid for?
- What kind of housing do you offer? Is it private or shared?
- Is it an apartment or house?
- Can I have Pets?
- How close is your housing to the hospital?
- Does the travel nursing assignment allow me to bring my spouse or significant other, children, pets) Are there charges if I do?
- When doing housing through your company can I have a part in choosing our own apartment so we can maybe negotiate with the apartment complex for even better deals?
- Is there a housing package for things such as the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom? (ie: pots/pans, utensils, towels, sheets?)
- Does the housing you offer come with washer and dryers? If so where is it located? (eg: my room or within the complex?) If in the complex, do I have to pay to use it?
- What about phone service, Internet (wireless), cable? Are they included or do I pay for those?
- How much sooner than my assignment start and end date am I allowed to move in and out?
- Am I able to see where my room would be located in an apartment layout? Such as close to streets, parks and which floors?
- Does the housing I am offered come with A/C and/or heat or would I have to find a way to take care of those needs myself?
- Am I able to know the actual square feet of my apartment before and also see an exact layout of where the rooms are located to make sure the sq. ft. is right for me?
- Do you offer an extended stay option instead?
I’m sure there are questions I am missing. What other questions have you found helpful to ask.