Here we are with just a few days left in the month of July, your kids are getting restless (you probably are too) and you may be close to your wits end trying to find things to do to keep you and your family entertained. Fear not, for there are plenty of things to keep yourself and your family occupied before the summer ends… And the best part is a lot of it is fairly inexpensive!
- When was the last time you all went on a picnic? Pack up your favorite lunch, grab some refreshing beverages and head to your nearest park or even better take a quick drive outside the city and visit a state park, the beach, just about anywhere! Take this time to relax, enjoy the outside, throw the frisbee and eat some good food and drink.
- Camping in the late summer and early fall are the best times to enjoy the great outdoors. Again, you don’t have to make a big fuss over it. You can simply head to your nearest state or city park (as long as they allow camping) and pitch a tent, build a fire and start cooking up some s’mores! Most state parks will charge a minimal fee or some won’t charge at all. If you don’t own any camping equipment, just ask your friends and family. Often times you’ll find that their gear hasn’t been used is quite some time and they’ll gladly lend it to you for the weekend.
- Build something. Depending on the age of your children and your level of expertise, try your hand at building something or just fixing something up around the house. Whether it be for the kids to enjoy or something that the whole family can make use of. Keeping your kids involved in the project will give them the sense that they are really helping and when it’s all done you can all look back and say we did this together as a family. Painting is always a good start… I wouldn’t suggest giving the kids any power tools or anything like that.
- Hit the local library. When was the last time you all spent time at the library? Nowadays the library has so much more to offer than just books. You can now listen to music, use computers/internet, watch a movie and of course read a book. Libraries are constantly hosting events for children and the entire family, so check out what your neighborhood library is doing in the coming weeks and make a plan to drop in on one of those days.
- Go for a bike ride. This is a great activity the whole family can enjoy. There’s nothing better than pedaling around your neighborhood as a family or better yet, packing the bikes up and heading out to a park with trails. A quick search on the internet will garner many results with family friendly bike routes and so forth. Strap on the helmets, fill those water bottles and pedal your way to fun!
Summer is coming to a close, the fall is quickly arriving. Don’t let the kids sleep in and sit in front of the Xstation or PlayBox all day. Get out and get going, because before you know it… Dare I say? School, sports, the holidays, and your next travel nursing job will once again make life busy.
If you have any other great ideas for family fun in summer’s end, please leave a comment below: